Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Healthy Living During The Holidays - Turkey & Cabbage soup recipe

So like everyone nowadays, I do what I can to stay fit and trim... I do a little exercise. Well, I'll be honest here, my exercise usually consists of walking my son to and from the bus stop 3x a week, but still - that's 1/2 a mile each way!! So if you add it all up - that's 2 miles a day, 6 miles of walking a week! I'm just saying. I try to eat right. The only thing is, I have this SEROUS sweet tooth. And the fact that my beautiful lady love decided to buy THREE sweet potato pies for thanksgiving did not help. Granted, I'm not the only one who lives here, we have 2 kids at home still. BUT - my work schedule allows me to have 3 days off each week. Alone. Just me and those sweet creamy pies.... *sigh*


SO - I put a few pounds on.. lol Not anything ridiculous, but enough for me to put my foot down (at myself) and say "LOOK HERE DAMMIT!" that's enough!" I got my attention pretty quickly once I started cussin *wide eyed* 


So now, no cakes and pies - Klump Fest '11 is officially over. Which is of course a good thing, because I still gotta eat right? I love to eat and in these cozy Winter months, I LOVE to cook! Soo.. using some of my leftover turkey drumsticks and thighs that I froze after Thanksgiving, I am making a DELICIOUS Cabbage and Turkey soup (my own recipe) in my crockpot right now!! Yummy!






TURKEY AND CABBAGE SOUP


1 crockpot




2 Roasted Turkey Drumsticks
1/2 pack of Smoked Turkey Bacon, cooked
1 head of cabbage (quartered)
3 large carrots (sliced)
1/4 cup Sofrito (SEE THIS RECIPE)
1 Red onion (chopped)
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups water




Add all ingredients into your crock pot, set for 8 hours, and enjoy!!!




To enhance the natural flavors, about 20 minutes prior to serving, add:


1 tbsp natural sugar or Stevia
Sea Salt (To taste)
Crushed Red Pepper (To taste)




This makes a great leftover too - just freeze the rest, and pull out on a cold evening!!



No comments:

Post a Comment